Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Homemade Applesauce - Vegan MoFo #16

   Hi Friends!

   I hope everyone had a lovely and relaxing/productive weekend.  We sure did, and the weather we had was perfect for a fall weekend- some rain, some sun, a little chill, and then a little warmth.  Perfect!
   And because it was such a perfect Fall weekend I decided that I would play around with some apple recipes.  This week in Vegan MoFoland we're talking APPLES! 
Farmer's Market Apples

  I love anything to do with apples and my favorite kind is the Honey Crisp.  I can't get enough of it.  When my parents were in town visiting, my mom had brought some jars of Homemade Applesauce that she had made.  I'm not a huge applesauce fan but I absolutely loved hers.  So, one day we bought a bunch of apples from the farmers market and made a batch for me to have.  The process was super simple - and I have a feeling that I'll be making it a lot during the cooler months.

Read on for the recipe...

Farmer's Market Applesauce (unsweetened)
Ingredients
Apples! (we used about 9 or 10), *peeled and chopped
1 cup of water
A few teaspoons cinnamon, optional
*You can leave the peel on for a rustic applesauce (we did!)


Directions
Chop and peel (or not) your apples and place them in a large pot.  Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot and set it on the stove to medium heat.  Add the cinnamon and the sweetener of your choice (if your making it sweet).
Cook for 20 minutes.
You may want to adjust the heat depending on your pot and the type of stove you have.  We ended up turning it down to med-low halfway through.  Check your water level every so often and give the apples a stir to ensure that they are not sticking to the bottom. 


The apples will start to soften and break down.  After about 20 minutes turn the burner off and give your apples a mash with a fork or potato masher.


While the applesauce is still hot add it to your canning jars.

How it all began:  Jars of applesauce that my mom made and brought over on her visit to share with us.
And voila!  You have yourself some rockin' applesauce!  Stay tuned for tomorrow's post when I use the applesauce in a super simple and tasty dessert drink.

Happy Monday!
Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...