Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Apple Slaw with Maple Vinaigrette - Vegan MoFo #19

   Hi Friends!

   I hope you're enjoying Apple Week because I sure am!  Like I said, I really love apples but I never think to cook with them so I'm really glad that I decided to feature them this week.  Today's recipe is a fun fresh dish that would be a perfect addition to a heavier meal.  I'm thinking of making it for Thanksgiving next month.  I'm referring to American Thanksgiving, of course.  Oh, um, if you don't already know, I'm American so I celebrate both Canadian and American Thanksgivings.  It's how I roll. ;)

Apple Slaw with Maple Vinaigrette
Ingredients
2 carrots, julienned
1/2 small red cabbage, cored and sliced into small strips
1 large apple, julienned
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup broccoli slaw, optional

Directions
Chop and julienne the ingredients and add them to a large bowl.

I used the julienne attachment to my mandoline and ended up with this:
Oops!

So then I decided to rely on my mad knife skills (ha, yeah right!) and julienne the veggies and apples myself:
Much better.

Maple Vinaigrette
Ingredients
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
scant 1/4 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp dijon mustard
3 tbsp maple syrup
sea salt to taste

Directions
Shake all ingredients up in a jar or, process them in your blender or, whisk them in a bowl - adding the oil in slowly at the end.
   I use the vegetable stock in this recipe as a kind of filler so I don't have to add as much oil.  I thank my mom for sharing this tip with me a year or so ago.  I think she may have gotten it off the Food Network or something?  Or maybe it's her own tip?  Even so, I love the idea.  I enjoy oil in my dressings but let's be honest, most recipes and those chef's on T.V., always suggest that you add way too much.  This is a great way of enjoying the flavor that oil gives without all of the fat.

   You'll have some dressing leftover which will make a really nice vinaigrette for a green salad or as a really yummy marinade. 

   Like I said, this is a really fresh and delicious salad.  Wrap it up and let it sit for about a half hour or longer to let the ingredients marry.  The salad will taste it's best if you let it sit.  And notice how I used the word 'marry' - I've been watching way too much food T.V. lately!  Ha.  
Enjoy!

Love,
Ves xx

Ps: sorry it was just a quicky recipe post... it's been one of those weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...