Pages

Sunday, March 04, 2012

Oh, How Sweet (with a Twist)!

Day three, part two (dessert)...

  I decided to make a Sweet Potato Pie for two reasons.  1. I've never made one before (and I don't think I've ever eaten one either?). and 2. I had a ready-made pie crust staring me in the face begging to be used.  How can I argue with that?  I searched the interweb for some recipe ideas and decided to come up with my own as I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand.  It's all about improvisation people! :o)
So, here is my take on Sweet Potato Pie:

Vegan Sweet Potato Pie w/ a Twist
Ingredients
1 medium sweet potato
1 large apple (I used honeycrisp)
3/4 cup vegan sugar
2 tbs arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) 
3/4 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
Pinch of Salt
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 Cup Sour Cream
1 Vegan Pie Crust (ready-made or scratch)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
Wash, peel and cube the sweet potato. 
Bake for 45-60 minutes or until done. Remove from the oven and lower the heat to 350 degrees. Allow the sweet potato to cool.
Measure out your sugar and mix it with the arrowroot, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. 
Place the sweet potato in a mixing bowl. Break it down and make it as smooth as possible.  Grate your apple super fine and add it to the bowl.  Mix well.
Combine the sugar mixture with the sweet potato and apple until well incorporated. Then add the almond milk, sour cream, and vanilla. 
Blend until completely smooth - I used a hand mixer.  
Pour into crust and place on the middle rack in the oven. 
Bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow to cool on a baking rack for at least 3 hours.

Ready for the oven...

Just baked...

Serve as is...
So delish...!

...or with this super simple Whipped Topping...
Vegan Whip
1 can full fat Coconut milk
2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
vanilla bean (optional)
cinnamon (optional)

Chill the coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.  Open the can without shaking it and carefully scoop out the creamy white stuff that's gathered on the top, leaving the liquid in the can.  Spoon it into a mixing bowl, and add the powdered sugar and vanilla, cinnamon or any other flavor you want.  Using a hand mixer, mix the coconut milk until smooth and fluffy.  Start on low and gradually increase the speed, moving the mixer in an up and down motion to get as much air as possible into the cream.

Enjoy...
Yum - oh!

I hope you've enjoyed my sweet potato craze!

Til next time...

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...