Pages

Friday, March 02, 2012

1 Potato, 2 Potato, 3 Potato, Sweet!

   That's right!  Mmm... I'm about to confess my love for the Sweet Potato.  You can turn away if you want, but then you might miss the yummy recipe I'll be posting after I'm done being all mushy.  There really isn't anything better than a nice baked sweet potato.  Except for maybe a grilled one... or a steamed one... or a mashed one.  I'll eat them any which way I can get them! 
   In addition to being so delicious, sweet potatoes are really good for you.  Just one medium sweet potato is rich in beta-carotene and meets your daily need for vitamin A.  It also provides nearly a third of the vitamin C you need each day.  If you eat it with the skin on (organic only) it's packed with fiber, too.  Woohoo!  I knew there was a reason I love this veggie so much!

   I was at my parents house earlier this evening for a quick hello, and my mom warmed up a soup for me to try that she had made the day before.  It was beyond yummy and the 'star' of the soup was a sweet potato!  After explaining how easy it was to make, and after trying (unsuccessfully) to give me the rest to take home (hey, my mom's gotta eat too!), I decided I was going to make that soup for dinner.  I already had a couple of sweet potatoes hangin' out in the fridge and one on the counter (I had planned on making a sweet potato for supper) so I didn't have to stop at the store.
   My mom had steamed the sweet potatoes first, so I decided to bake mine and see if it would taste differently.  I didn't want to use oil though, so I added a bit of veg stock to the baking dish before placing it in the oven.  I also don't like to mess with the flavor of the sweet potato; I think it's pretty awesome on it's own.

Read on for the recipe...

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Serves 2
prep time: 5min.
Total Time : approx. 1hr 15min.

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato or 2 small ones
2 + 1 cups vegetable stock
cumin
turmeric
sea salt


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Wash, peel and cut the sweet potato into cubes.  Place in an oven safe baking dish and add a bit of the veg stock (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan).  Mix the sweet potatoes until they're covered in the stock.  Add a few dashes of cumin and a pinch of salt and pop it in the oven.  Check on them every 15-20 minutes and add a bit more stock if needed.  After about 40 min take the sweet potatoes out of the oven and stir them up a bit.  If they aren't done yet, add some more veg stock (if they're dry) and then cover the dish with foil and place it back in the oven for a few more minutes.  When the sweet potatoes are soft and can easily be pierced with a fork, they're done.

In a high speed blender add 1 1/2 cups of the veg stock and half of the sweet potatoes and process.  Keep adding the sweet potatoes (and stock as needed) until they're all in the blender and process until smooth.  Add a pinch of turmeric and taste.  Add more cumin and salt if needed.  Transfer the contents to a pot on the stove and warm until heated through.

Serve it like this...

...or the way that I ate it...


   You guys should know by now that I have to add greens to everything that I eat and this meal was no exception.  I poured the creamy sweet potato soup over a bed of raw kale... my favorite green on the planet!  I added a bit of nutritional yeast and a squirt of lemon right before eating.  It was so delicious!  

   If you liked this recipe, stay tuned tomorrow for another sweet potato recipe! 
Until then, have a Happy Friday!

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...