Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Mexicali Evening...

   The other night my sister and I got together for some dinner at my place and a catch-up on our current favorite show... The Bachelor.  Yes, we totally watch it, and no we are not ashamed to admit it!  The "Women Tell All" was super juicy, I can't wait for the next episode!
   But this post is not about the Bachelor.  No, it's about the delicious food we ate while watching it!  The meal was inspired by a package of Taquitos that I found in the frozen section of Whole Foods.  I don't normally by frozen food but I was so excited when I saw vegan taquitos that I had to snatch them up.  My sister and I love Taquitos, so much so that we've been known to buy them from the 7-Eleven back in California.  True story.  They were the perfect 'road food' for when we would make the long 2 hour drive from Orange County to the desert to visit our Dad.

Vegan Taquitos!
    To go along with the Taquitos I whipped up a dip inspired by a recipe from The Kind Diet.
Here's my take on it:

Cheesy Layer Dip


Ingredients
1 package Yves veggie rounds (I used Original)
1 large avocado
Juice of 1/2 a lime 
1 8-ounce containers non-dairy sour cream
1 1/2 packet taco seasoning (or make your own mix with chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder, hot paprika or cayenne, and salt)

1/2 cup of diced green onions
1/2 - 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
 
1 cup(s) of shredded vegan mozzarella with jalapeno (you can use cheddar too) 
Steps
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

  2. Saute the veggie round and then add 1 packet of the taco seasoning.  Simmer until the liquid has evaporated.  
  3. Spread the veggie meat on the bottom of an 8 inch by 8 inch quart baking dish. 

  4. Pit and peel the avocado, and place in a bowl. 

  5. Mash the avocado together with the lime juice, and spread on top of the veggie meat.
  6. Stir together the sour cream and 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, and spread over the avocado.

  7. Sprinkle the green onions over the sour cream.

  8. Add the tomatoes, and sprinkle with the cheese.

  9. Heat the dip for 15-30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is a bit melted.

  10. Serve warm or at room temperature. 
Our "Mexicali" meal... YUM!

   I also made a coleslaw to round out our meal with a simple vinaigrette.  My sister loved the Taquitos but said that the dip was her favorite part.  I ate most of the coleslaw so I guess that was my favorite part! Ha.  I wasn't a huge fan of the Taquitos but they sure smelled delicious coming out of the oven.  I would definitely buy them again but I would try a different flavor next time.
   This meal was super delicious and totally worth the stomach ache we had afterwards from overeating!  I think the next time we make this much food we should make sure to have more people over... Yikes!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Love,
Ves xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...