Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mmm, soup!


Sometimes I crave soup.  And lately I’ve been craving it a whole lot.  Nothing too heavy, just a light fresh soup with whatever veggies I have in the fridge or whatever looks good to me at the moment.  Today I made a super delicious soup so I thought I would share it here.  This soup will last me a couple of days and I’ll eat it for breakfast and then again for lunch or dinner.  I love having a bit of soup at breakfast with some steamed greens and a little bit of oatmeal or something.  It makes me feel so good first thing in the morning.  You should definitely try soup for breakfast if you haven’t yet.
Here’s my soup:
3 cups water
¼ red onion roughly chopped
1 carrot cut into bite size pieces
1 daikon cut into bite size pieces
1 parsnip cut into bite size pieces
¼ or ½ a tomato (depending on the size) cut into bite size pieces
1 or 2 handfuls of shredded cabbage
small handful of rappini (stems and greens chopped separately)
a few drops of Shoyu
1 1/2 tsp. of Barley Miso (optional)


Place the first five ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cook for a few minutes longer.  Add the rappini stems and shoyu.  Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.  Add the cabbage.  Place the miso in a small cup and stir in a small amount of the soup broth until the miso is dissolved.  Add the miso mixture into the soup and simmer for 2 minutes more.  Stir in the tomatoes and rappini greens just until wilted and still bright green.  Remove the pot from heat.  To serve, ladle the soup into small bowls and enjoy.  So delish! 



  *I made my first Miso soup using a recipe from Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet.  It was so tasty! This recipe was inspired by that one using the vegetables I had in my fridge.

3 comments:

  1. I love soup and love learning about new and intresting reciepes!!! Soup for breaky...hmmmm no reason not to try it...i'll never know till i do right?! :)
    Great blog Ves...I look forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too kind, thanks so much Sabrina! And you seriously have to try it... or at least some steamed greens with whatever else you are having. You'll feel great all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always steam my veggies!! There is no other way to eat them...is there?? ;) lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...