Pages

Saturday, May 05, 2012

Let's Have a Fiesta!

   Happy Cinco de Mayo, my friends!  I've been so busy preparing for my Bake Sale that I haven't had a lot of free time to post anything new.  But, there was no way that I was going to let a glorified American holiday Mexican Holiday pass by without a mention!  I grew up celebrating this holiday the way any self respecting American from California would:  I pretended to know what it was about while simultaneously participating in my school's festivals and eating Mexican food.  Ole!  And today is no different!  Except that I no longer live in California, and I know a little bit more about Cinco de Mayo than I did when I was a kid.  FYI:  From what I hear from some of my Mexican friends... no one in Mexico actually celebrates this day.  It's totally Americanized.  But guess what?  I don't care!  Any excuse to eat Mexican food is fine by me!  Pass the vegan Burrito, please!  In fact, that's what's for dinner tonight.


   Unfortunately, I didn't have time to cook, so 'dinner' is a frozen burrito from the "Amy's" line of frozen food.  I've never actually had anything of theirs so I thought I would try the burrito in honor of Cinco de Mayo.  You can microwave this for about a minute or stick it in the oven for 50-55 minutes.  I don't own a microwave so into the oven it went for about an hour.  I must say, even though I was starving by the time this was ready, I much prefer waiting an hour for something that's crispy on the outside and hot on the inside rather than a soggy half hot/half cold burrito from the micro.  No bueno.  Just before the burrito was ready, I whipped up a simple spring salad with tomatoes and a simple lemon vinaigrette topped with nooch and hemp seeds (of course!).

Here's what dinner looked like:
So yummy!
   The burrito was actually really good!  It had a bit of a kick to it which I like because I enjoy spicy food.  If I had an avocado left I would have made guacamole to go with this but, instead I dipped the burrito in some salsa.  It really doesn't need to be dipped in anything though, I just really like salsa! Ha.

   Bake Sale Update:  I've been super busy preparing lists of things to pick up before the marathon baking begins.  I'm happy to say that all of the containers and things have been purchased, flyers have been printed and are being handed out daily, and announcements have been made on FB, Kijiji, and Pinterest. (<--- every little bit helps!)

Sestres Coffee Shop has graciously offered to donate trays of vegan and gluten free goodies!  Yay!!  And starting tomorrow, the Marathon Baking begins!  Tune in throughout the week as I will be posting pictures of the goodies as I bake them. (and maybe a recipe or two as well!)

I hope you are all enjoying Cinco de Mayo in your own fabulous way! 

Adios for now...

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...