Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lemon Pistachio Cookies + Crazy Weather

   Hi Friends!

   I hope everyone enjoyed the lovely spring day we had yesterday.  Or as I like to call it, my California winter day.  We reached an insanely out of season temperature of 15C here in Hamilton.  I wore my spring coat but wrapped a scarf around my neck because I didn't believe the weather people on TV.  I promptly removed my scarf as soon as I got outside.  How is it possible that it was 15 degrees yesterday with rain, and Monday my school was closed due to a snow/ice day?  I officially live in crazy town.

   In honor of the spring weather, I thought I would finally share this fabulous cookie recipe with you.  I got this recipe from my mom who made it for her baked goods stall at the farmer's market in her town.  The original recipe calls for oranges but the organic oranges at my local store looked really sad around the time that I wanted to make these cookies so I subbed in lemons.  At some point I will have to try this recipe using oranges, but for now, I absolutely love it with lemons.  I am offering this up as a "springy" type recipe because lemon's remind me of springtime (even though I consume them all year long).  Plus, I promised to share this recipe around the holidays, which is when I made these cookies, so I figure it's about time.

On to the recipe...


Icebox Lemon Pistachio Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen


Ingredients:
3/4 cup Earth Balance Coconut spread
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. Chia seeds + 3tbsp water
1 tbsp. lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 cup arrowroot
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios (I took a ziplock bag, put the nuts in there and then pounded them with my rolling pin.)

Directions:
Whisk together chia seeds and water in a small bowl.  Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 15 min. 
Cream the butter and sugar for 2 minutes, then beat in the chia mixture, lemon rind, and vanilla. 
Whisk together flour, arrowroot and salt and add to the butter mixture and blend on low speed until combined. 
Divide dough in half and roll each piece into a log about an inch in diameter and roll the logs into the pistachios to coat.  Wrap in plastic and put in freezer for a few hours.

Preheat oven to 350.  Slice each log into cookie rounds and bake for 10 minutes.  They should remain light colored on top but a little golden on the bottom.

For Frosting:  2-1/4 cups icing sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tsp melted coconut oil or Earth Balance butter.  Blend together and ice the cookies when they've cooled.  Decorate with a little chopped pistachios.
Enjoy!


I didn't really change the recipe except for making it vegan.  So thank you, mom, for sharing it with me so that I can share it with everyone else!

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...