Pages

Monday, June 09, 2014

I Choose Kindness

   Hi Friends,

   I LOVE  my vegan life. Ask anyone who knows me well and I bet they'll tell you the same thing. I absolutely love everything about being vegan. Even when I first started out as a newbie vegan, not knowing anyone else who was also vegan, or even what the heck to eat or buy, I never found it hard. It never felt like it was a sacrifice, a chore, or an impossible way of life. It just felt absolutely right. And it still does. So, while I love every single thing about my vegan life, there is one thing that I absolutely loathe: the argument against veganism. You know what I'm talking about, and more than likely you've been on one end or the other of this argument. It's the most ridiculous argument to have with someone which is why I never start them. And I do mean NEVER.


   Okay, obviously I'm not going to start an argument against veganism, but I'm also not going to start any kind of argument that has to do with being vegan because I know where it will lead. Let's face it, a meat-eaters famous argument, and strongest (in their opinion) is, "Well you kill plants so what's the difference?" I mean, if I had a dollar for every time someone has said this to me (with a serious face) I'd be very rich... like, Bill Gates rich. But honestly, when I go to parties or gatherings or anywhere there is food, I'm there to have a good time, not to defend my choices. I also always bring food. Always. Sometimes it's because I want to make it easier for the host; the last thing I want is for someone to stress over what I'm going to eat. But usually, it's because I love to cook and feed people. Especially when I get to show off how delicious vegan food can be. But, I do not go to these functions to be judged by my lifestyle. And that's exactly what's happening. I'm being judged. I do not judge people who eat meat. I simply understand that 1. they have not yet made the connection between animal and food, or 2. they have made the connection, and it doesn't affect them (the latter is slightly more difficult for me to accept, but I do.) If I am able to understand that in this day and age, with everything that we know about good health, people are still willing to consume meat, dairy and eggs, than they should be able to accept the fact that I won't.


   No too long ago, while I was driving to work, I merged onto the freeway and was cut-off by a transport truck. I was about to honk my horn when I looked to my left and noticed that this was no ordinary transport truck, it was a slaughter truck. I literally looked straight into the eyes of a pig. Immediately I started to cry. I couldn't concentrate on anything but these beautiful beings in the truck next to me. I'm not entirely sure how I manged to drive properly that morning, because all of my energy was spent on sending these beautiful pigs my love. All I could think was that I hope they can feel it. I hope they know that someone cared about them in their life before they were so senselessly taken to slaughter. This was the first time I had ever witnessed a slaughter truck, and at the time I didn't think that I'd ever be able to get over it. I'm still not "over it" but this experience has shown me that I definitely want to attend a vigil and bear witness when these trucks arrive at the "meat plants". My other thought, while driving next to this "death truck", was how other drivers were reacting to it. Did anyone else notice that a transport truck full of pigs headed to slaughter was next to them? Did they care? Did they cry or feel any emotion at all?


   So what does that story have to do with the ignorant "plant-killing" argument? I guess it's my way of showing how strongly I believe in being vegan. I'm not vegan for my health, although it is extremely beneficial to include plenty of plant-based foods into our diet. I am totally and completely, 100% vegan for the animals. The side effect of my lifestyle is that it's also wonderful for the planet and my health. This is why many vegans refer to it as the "kind diet" or the "kind lifestyle". Kind to the animals, kind to the planet, and kind to ourselves.


   The point of this very long and very serious blog post is to say: please stop judging. Do not judge people for their choices. I do not want to be judged for living a vegan lifestyle and I do my best not to judge anyone for the way they choose to live. And I don't take joking at the expense of animals lightly. I can't speak for all vegans, but I can say with certainty that if someone is laughing and joking to me about how yummy a certain animal would taste, the first thought going through my mind is "poor baby"and visions of a dead animal. I don't think there is anything funny about that. I choose kindness and I hope you do, too.


   Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. I apologize for it's 'heaviness' but I feel that it's necessary, once in a while. I hope that it helps you understand me a little bit better. Feel free to leave any questions or comments in the space below.

Love,
Ves xx

4 comments:

  1. Very well said Vesna. It sure does make me thing about my lifestyle. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vesna,

    GREAT article! I can so relate, I hate starting the arguments but the things we hear for meat eating are just down right crazy sometimes RIGHT? Glad you took the time to write about it, and glad I found you on IG! (I'm veganfoodsrock haha, but that's not my personal IG so I figured I would tell you so you know who I am LOL!)
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for commenting Zach! Yes, it's definitely hard sometimes to have a conversation about vegan living. We all need to work on being a tad bit more open-minded.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...