Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Blender Recipe: Blueberry Oat Muffins

   Hi Friends!

   I noticed that it's been a while since I've added a recipe on here.  And when I checked my recipe archive I noticed that there are ZERO recipes for muffins on this blog.  Let's change that shall we?  I haven't actually made muffins in over a year.  I don't normally eat them, or crave them but I've been seeing so many pictures of muffins floating around on my Instagram lately that I felt it was time to bake a batch.  Originally, I planned on making raspberry muffins but, every time I bought raspberries I ended up using them for something else.  This happened about three times until I gave up on raspberries and went with blueberries.  I always have blueberries in the house, even if they are frozen.



   By the way, you may be wondering why I call this a blender recipe?  Well my friends, it's because I used my blender to mix up all of the ingredients.  But not just any blender.  I used my new best friend... my VITAMIX!  That's right, this girl's got a Vitamix!  I did a little dance the night I ordered it... and then another when it arrived.  And then I spent the entire day in the kitchen playing with it.  I made all of my meals using the blender.  Even if it was just to chop an onion, I didn't care.  I was going to use my Vitamix no matter what.  Everyday I rack my brain coming up with things that I can use it for.  Obviously, it makes my smoothies every morning (my smoothies have never tasted so good), but it's also helped me make hummus, brownies, pies, burgers, dressings, batters, soups, ice creams, frappuccinos, the list goes on.  Best.Purchase.Ever.

   Back to the muffins... You don't need a Vitamix to make these.  Any blender will do, or you can use a food processor if you prefer.  While these were baking the whole house smelled like banana bread, but once you try them you'll notice that the flavor is subtle.  Also, the amount of sugar in these muffins is perfect for me, but if you like really sweet things you may want to add more sugar to suit your tastes.

On to the recipe...



Blueberry Oat Muffins
Makes about 15 - 17 muffins
(the number goes up if you don't eat the batter!)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups rolled oats, plus a little extra for garnish
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 4 tbsp water
2 ripe bananas
1/3 cup coconut sugar (brown sugar works too)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare muffin tins by greasing them or use silicone liners. (Don't use paper liners as the muffins will stick to them, causing the muffin-in-mouth ratio to be super low.  Trust me, I know.)
Whisk together the flaxseed and water in a small bowl.  Set aside.
Using a blender/food processor add the rolled oats and process them until they reach a flour consistency.
Add the remaining ingredients to the blender (except for the blueberries) and process until smooth.
Stir in the blueberries and then fill the muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full.  Garnish with extra oats.  (I didn't think of that until after they were baking.)
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

By the way, these are only 80 calories a muffin.  Which is great for me because I sampled 3 of them just to write this post!

Enjoy!

Love,
Ves xx

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely be making these. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vitamix is a well known blender for it's excellent service. Thanks for share a informative blog.

    Best Blender

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...