Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Apple Buttah Jeans...

Ha!  Sorry.  Anytime I say Apple Butter out loud or in my head, I immediately start singing,"Apple bottom jeans... boots with the furrrr..."!  Anyone else?  No.  Just me?  Okay.... Well, I bet you're singing it now!  Ha.
As promised, I want to share my super simple and super yummy method for making Apple Butter.  I'm sure if you Google it you will get tons of different ideas (man I love Google) but this is my no-fuss way.  In the future, I would like to try making it using a Slow Cooker.  I don't have one right now, but the idea of "setting it and forgetting it" is very appealing to me.  

Without further ado, here is the recipe:

Start out by making applesauce (click here for the full recipe)

Add your chopped apples to a pot with a bit of water.
You can leave the peel on because that's where all the nutrients are... 
plus we'll make sure to smooth it out later!

After about 20 minutes or so mash up your apples.

Add the mashed apples to your blender.  You may want to do this in a couple of batches depending on the kind of blender you have.  Process until it's smooth - about a couple minutes.

At this point you will have super smooth applesauce.  Add this back to your pot, turn the heat down to med-low or low and let it simmer for about an hour or so.  Make sure to stir it constantly so it doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.

The apple butter is done when it's reached your desired thickness.

I don't know about you, but I always add too much water to my apples when I'm making applesauce.  I don't see this as a bad thing, though.  This liquid is super delicious - it's a mixture of water, cinnamon and the juice from the apples.  I save this and use it the next day as the liquid in my smoothie or to cook up some oats.  I love it!

In this batch of Apple Butter I used:
5lbs of apples (a mixture of Fuji and Gala)
3/4 cup of water
1-2 tsps of cinnamon
 (This made about 2 cups of Apple Butter)

I don't use sugar in my apple sauce or my apple butter and I think it tastes WAY better than store bought.  I actually never really ate the store bought varieties of either but ever since I've tried the homemade versions I find myself making them at least twice a month.  I love using applesauce in my baked goods or adding it to my smoothies but, once in a while I just like to eat it straight from the jar!  Ha.

Let me know if you guys make this!

Happy Monday!

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...