Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

It's a Lean, Mean, Clean, Green Kind of Day!

   The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, my cat's napping and I'm feeling kinda green today.  Huh?? Okay, maybe I'm not feeling green, I'm just seeing it!  As in, every time I open the fridge.  So, I've decided to make it a theme... Today is GREEN FOOD DAY!!  Man, I probably should have saved this one for St. Patty's Day! Ha.  Oh well.
   I should start off by saying that my body is going to be sooo happy with me today!  Green foods are one of the best foods to feed our bodies as they are the most nutrient-rich foods on the planet.  I know I sang chlorophyll's praises here but it doesn't get old. Chlorophyll is known to help cleanse the body, help heal wounds, fight infection, and promote the health of the circulatory, digestive, immune, and detoxification systems. And where can we find chlorophyll?  Green foods, of course!  
   I hope I don't shock my body with the abundance of healthy meals it's going to receive today.  I'll probably have a slice of chocolate cake later (vegan, of course) just to balance things out! Ha.  Just kidding.  Or am I? 
   On to the Green Goodness!
Green Juice!
Ooohhh... doesn't that look pretty? 

Lean Green Juice
2 bunches Broccoli
4 Stalks Celery
4-5 Romaine Leaves
1/2 Lemon
2 Wheat grass Cubes

Juice, drink, and be prepared for the abundance of energy that you're about to have!

**I don't like my green juice to be sweet but if you're wanting a bit of sweetness add an apple or pear to the juice.
Green Smoothie!
My green smoothie today was so yummy and easy to make.  You probably already have all of the ingredients (even if you don't have some of the powders) so go ahead and make this for your snack today!

Mean Green Smoothie
1 - 1 1/2 cups of Almond Milk (or water)
1 frozen banana
1 apple
2 large handfuls of Spinach
1 tbsp Almond Butter (you can use natural peanut butter too)
1 tbsp Goji Berries (optional)
1 tbsp Hemp Seeds (optional)
1 tsp Spirulina (optional)
1 tsp Chlorella (optional)
1 tbsp Maca (optional)
 
Add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender and process until smooth.  Pour into a glass add a straw and enjoy! OR do as I sometimes do and add a straw to your blender!  Why dirty a glass?? :)

* I know there are a lot of "optional" ingredients listed above but they will not change the flavor of the smoothie so if you don't have them go ahead and make this anyway.  I'm a little obsessed with adding "extras" to my smoothies. 

Green Soup!

   I made this soup last night because I wanted to use up some of the produce that was in my fridge before it spoiled.  I have leftovers for today which is perfect for my GREEN FOOD DAY!  Oh and just so you know, this is a RAW soup recipe.  Which really just means that I didn't cook it, I made it in my blender. (Man I love raw food!)  If you want a warmer soup you can definitely warm this on the stove until it's just "finger warm" - not hot, that way it's still technically raw (not heated above 108-115 degrees).

Clean Green Soup
1 1/2 cups water
2 (really) large handfuls Romaine/Spinach
1 small handful Parsley
1 large head Broccoli
3 Basil leaves
2 tomatoes, chopped
juice of half a lemon plus rind
3-4 Radishes, diced
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
Pinch Cumin
Pinch turmeric
Pinch cayenne pepper
Place all the ingredients into a high speed blender and process until smooth.  For a smoother soup consistency add a half or whole avocado.  I would have done that except that I never have avocado's lying around - I eat them immediately!  
Pour into a bowl, grab a spoon and enjoy!  If you want it warmer add a pinch more cayenne or see my note above.

If you try any of these recipes let me know by posting in the comments below!

(Oh, and it seems that I have been on a roll with "S" titles in the last 4 posts.  See here, here, here and here.  How weird.  Anyway, this post broke that strange little kick I was on... thankfully.)
Happy GREEN FOOD DAY... AKA Family Day here in Ontario!
Love, 
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...