Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Tale of Two Posts

   Wow, what a busy week/weekend it's been!  I've been meaning to write for quite sometime but haven't had a chance.  So, I'm going to squish two posts in one.  I hope you don't mind.
   First, I'd like to start by confessing my love for October.  I really do love this month.  All I have to do is think of October and I get all warm and fuzzy inside.  Lots of important birthdays happening this month, Canadian Thanksgiving, Halloween, a wedding... I love October!  Let's start with the Birthdays...  My fab Uncle has a birthday in the beginning of the month and so does my Godson.  In fact, this was my Godson's FIRST Birthday!  Yay!  My brother and sister-in-law threw a party at their house and were fortunate enough to be able to host it outdoors.  Gotta love that fluke warm weather in the fall!  Parties are all about the food and they had some pretty awesome food contributed by family, friends and themselves.  Of course, I'm only concerned about the vegan options and their were some great choices.  For starters I made a batch of delicious Black Bean Sliders.
So yummy!
   Everyone who ate these burgers went back for more.  In fact, I think I only had one and I really wished I had made a double batch.  My Aunt made a super delicious Quinoa and vegetable salad.  I have no photos or recipe but trust me, it was really yum!  There was also a couple of salad options as well.  For the dessert, my mom made the main attraction: The gorgeous birthday cake!
My handsome Godson and the delicious assortment of cake!!
Amazing!
    Okay, so the cakes that my mom made weren't vegan but I just wanted to show off her talent a little bit.  Anyway, if you look closely at the first cake picture you'll see a tiny chocolate cake in the background.  That's the cake that I made.  It was vegan and super delicious.  (I gotta find another word for delicious... cause I think I use it too much!) 
Vanilla cake with coconut cream filling and chocolate ganache frosting.  Vegan!

Yum-O!
   Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of what the inside of the cake looks like because it didn't last very long on my plate.  It was that good! (Is it okay to say that when you made it?  Oh well.)
   Anyway, a few days after my nephew's birthday it was time to celebrate mine!  I wasn't allowed to help with the food cause my mom loves to cook for us on our special day.  She did such an amazing job cooking an all vegan menu.  She made pumpernickel dip, guacamole, chili, goldfish crackers (yup, from scratch)!, rice and salad.  She also made two kinds of vegan cupcakes - Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake and Raspberry Tiramisu.  Heaven!
Raspberry Tiramisu Cupcake
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake
   Everyone loved the food at my party and, even though the men had issues with the fact that there was no meat, they enjoyed the meal too.  
Visit Chef Chloe's website for the cupcake recipes and for a recipe similar to the Black Bean Sliders. 

   I hope you try some of these recipes because they are so delicious and totally worth the effort!

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...