Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Milk & Cookies

I ♥ Milk & Cookies
      It's just one of those things that goes together.  Like Simon and Garfunkel.  Spaghetti and Meatballs.  Peanut Butter and Jam.  You can't have one without the other.  And why would you want to?  Besides, who doesn't love milk & cookies?  The warm, sweet smell of freshly baked cookies is so comforting, like a cozy sweater.  Just the thought of these cookies makes me want to curl up on the couch, in my jammies, with a good book or movie while munching on one.  Mmm.
   So what are you waiting for?  Get in the kitchen and make these bad boys ASAP!

Here is my recipe for the BEST chocolate chip cookies you'll ever have - for reals. (Trust me, I've tried (and tweaked) a lot of recipes... and when it comes to a chocolate chip cookie, simplicity is best.)

Chocolate Chip Cookies 
Makes about 40 - 50 cookies (depending on how big you make them)
 
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
        OR
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup (2 sticks) Earth Balance butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp Egg Replacer
4 tbsp water
2 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Sift flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside.
Whisk together 2 tsp Egg Replacer with 4 tbsp water and set aside.
Cream butter, sugars and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl for a few minutes until creamy.  Add your Egg Replacer mixture, half at a time, beating well after each addition.  Gradually beat in flour mixture in half cup increments.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using).  
Drop by rounded spoonful onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Bake for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

*A few notes about my recipe.  
   This was my favorite recipe before eliminating dairy from my diet, so I just veganized it. I've tried a few vegan chocolate chip cookie recipes and so far none of them are as good as this one.  I will keep trying though!
   For the sugar:  White sugar is not vegan as it's generally refined over bone char, an animal by-product, so keep that in mind.  I use Splenda in this recipe because although these cookies are the bomb, I really only make them for my step-dad who happens to be diabetic.  If I need to sweeten something for myself I generally use natural sweeteners like dates, bananas, agave, pure maple syrup, etc. 
   For the flour: I like to go halves or almost halves using whole wheat but you don't have to.  But I do think it makes these cookies taste even better.
   For the eggs:  In place of Egg Replacer you can use ground flax, which I prefer.  I happen to have the egg replacer so I used that instead.  Substitute one egg with 1 tbsp flax seed and 3 tbsp water.  So for this recipe you would need 2 tbsp of ground flax and 6 tbsp of water.  Blend or whisk together.
   For the chocolate chips: Most Semi-sweet and Dark chocolate chips are vegan as they do not use milk products but be sure to read the label because some do.  Stay away from Milk Chocolate because, well, it's in the title. Ha!
   Also, I have never used nuts in this recipe because I don't like nuts in my chocolate chip cookies.  But, what's a chocolate chip cookie recipe without the optional addition of nuts?  So it's in the recipe, feel free to add it! 
Enjoy with a nice cold glass of Almond Milk.
   After my sister tried one she said that they were my best cookies yet.  In fact, she said she liked the 'vegan' ones better then the kind I make for Jer-dad (our step-dad).  I told her these are still sugar-free.  She couldn't believe that she didn't have the aftertaste of Splenda.  I said that's because I made them and of course, because they're vegan.  Ha!

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...