Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

I ♥ Breakfast!

   I woke up this morning thinking about the big breakfasts my family would have on the weekends and was really craving something decadent.  Weekend breakfasts weren't necessarily huge, but definitely yummy food that we didn't have time to make on a work/school day.  Some of my favorites included: Crepes filled with marmalade, raspberry jam or feta cheese; creamy polenta; Eggs Benedict; french toast; pancakes; and the list goes on.  Even though I don't eat most of those foods anymore I still wanted something yummy, indulgent and different from the norm.  Usually I have a green smoothie or chia seeds with almond milk and berries.  So this morning I made myself some blueberry yoghurt and pan-fried Mochi.  As some of you know, I have been on a raw food kick lately and, while the blueberry yoghurt was definitely raw, the Mochi definitely wasn't.  Hey, I'm a Libra... it's all about balance!  Anyway, if you don't know what Mochi is, let me introduce you to something so delicious you'll wonder why you haven't tried it before.  The recipe that I used was adapted from Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet.  Mochi is made from brown rice and that's actually the only ingredient. 

This is the kind that I buy, but there are other kinds out there.
I usually cut the mochi in quarters or in half when I pan fry it.  Be careful not to let the mochi touch because they will stick together:
Cover the pan, turn the heat down low and cook for about 4 - 5 min.  Then flip the mochi pieces over and add a couple of drops of Shoyu (organic soy sauce) to them.
Cover and cook for another 4 - 5 minutes and then transfer to a plate.
Drizzle with Brown Rice Syrup, pure Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar and serve hot.
Mochi will be ooey gooey and delicious!
The last time I made Mochi, I ate it with scrambled tofu - so good!
But this morning I ate it with this.

   I cut up some cantaloupe and grapes, sprinkled some ground flax seed, coconuts, and goji berries and added about two tablespoons of the blueberry yoghurt.  It was so good and so filling!  I made the yoghurt with avocado, fresh-squeezed orange juice, blueberries, cinnamon, vanilla and agave nectar. The Blueberry Yoghurt comes from Polly Noble's 7 Day Quickstart the beginners guide to eating more raw.

Yum!

   So, even though I wasn't eating one of the more decadent breakfast choices I mentioned earlier, this was so good that I kind of wanted to eat the same thing for lunch!  I didn't though.  Ha!

What's your favorite breakfast food?

Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...